How to Protect Your Organization from Ransomware
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is computer malware that installs covertly on a victim’s device (e.g., computer, smartphone, wearable device) and that either mounts the cryptoviral extortion attack from cryptovirology that holds the victim’s data hostage, or mounts a cryptovirology leakware attack that threatens to publish the victim’s data, until a ransom is paid. Source: Wikipedia
Ransomware in Canada
Ransomware attacks are on the rise in Canada, according to the latest Internet Security Threat report from security firm Symantec. The report found that Canada ranked fourth on the list of countries most commonly hit by ransomware and social media scams. In fact, Symantec’s report estimates Canadians were affected by over 1,600 ransomware attacks per day in 2015.
How can you protect your organization?
- The best way to protect yourself from any sort of ransomware is to maintain up-to-date anti-virus or anti-malware software and ensure you are backing up your computer regularly to prevent losing any of your important files.
- Users should be wary of any unsolicited emails or emails from addresses they may not know.
- A good way to know if the link provided in an email is legitimate is to check the URL by hovering your mouse over the link – if the email appears to be from a business, say UPS, and the URL is not the company’s official web address, then it’s likely a fraudulent email.
- Be aware that emails sent to your Human Resources department may include ransomware in an application; this is a target for cybercriminals.
- Watch for .XBTL files, these are files encrypted with malware
- Speak with an ALIGNED Advocate today to get a quote for Cyber Liability Insurance to further protect your organization.
Contact An ALIGNED Advocate For A Cyber Liability Insurance Quote at 1-866-287-0448 Today.
|ALIGNED Across Canada 100% Canadian owned, ALIGNED is a premiere insurance brokerage that serves more than 1,400 clients across the country. ALIGNED’s offices in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver are supported by a national operations centre in Cambridge, Ontario. Uniquely within the industry, ALIGNED creates, negotiates and delivers the best business insurance and risk management strategies/solutions to organizations like yours.|